Re: [aroid-l] Availability of A. warocqueanum and veitchii

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Availability of A. warocqueanum and veitchii
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 20:54:05 EDT

harld---i've heard that the fogging systems work very well.  i think good air
movement is very important for growing healthy plants.  it compensates for a
world of 'insufficiencies'.  i am near the coast, north of tampa, and yes, it
is as humid here as in the houston area, but still not the degree of humidity
you'd find in the habitats of the 2 anthuriums. i grew both outdoors till i
built my greenhouses about 10 yrs ago, and they did fine, but the occasional
storms/winds would wreck the beautiful, long foliage.  they grew anyway.   A.
warocqueanum has been at low elevation, less than 100 m, near the coast in
Colombia.....so, not so very different from our situations.  by the way, i have
about 80% shade and grow these species in large slat baskets in a loose, epiphyte
mix, with lost of water and fertilizer year-round.  my greenhouse is 30 x 45,
so a 54" fan is quite large for this size.