[aroid-l] A. Titanum cloned

  • Subject: [aroid-l] A. Titanum cloned
  • From: "WEAVER,BILL (HP-USA,ex1)" bill.weaver@hp.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:21:30 -0700

A year or two ago there was some discussion on the list as to
whether Amorphophallus titanum could be successfully cloned from a
leaf cutting. So I decided to give it a try. I took two leaflets
off of the big leaf and treated one with Rootone F and one with
Olivia's Cloning Gel. Each leaf was then put in a six inch pot full
of seedling mix (fine vermiculite/sand/perlite) and zipped into a
plastic bag and placed under fluorescent lights. The leaflets stayed
green for almost a year. After they died and rotted I strained the
potting material I found something pretty cool. The Rootone treated
leaflet had produced three tiny bulblets, the largest was about 9mm
and the smallest about 3mm. The Cloning Gel treated leaflet produced
the most interesting growth. The midrib of the leaf had produced two
cylindrical growths, the smaller one was about 2.5cm long and about 7mm
The other was over 6cm long and 2cm wide. Attached to it were two small
bulblets 5mm and 15mm in diameter. I planted all of the bulblets and
growths in April 2003 and the first new growths sprouted from the
Cloning Gel pot this weekend. To put it mildly I am very happy with the
results and decided to share the story so far.

Bill Weaver