Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus seeding...

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus seeding...
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:21:01 +1000

>ranging from pea-sized yearlings to gnarly old monsters (ever notice how
>ugly Dracunculus corms get when you don't let them set seed for 4 or 5

I always have a bit of a chuckle when I hear comments about Dracunculus
seedings so easily for everyone.  In many years of growing it I have never
had one single seed set on it, despite numerous flowers out at one time and
the like.  Either I have a sterile clone, or the pollinating vector is not
present in my country/climate/locality (who knows which?).

The seedheads I have heard can be rather impressive, and I'd love to see
them for that reason alone as like you I have plenty of the little beggars
without seed as well <grin>.  Out of interest, what do Dracunculus look
like when you HAVE had seed set?  Given I have only ever seen non-seeded
ones obviously I have missed the "supermodel" variety and only get to see
my "Ugly Duckling" non-seeding for a lot more than 4 or 5 years <big grin>.

Does anyone know what the pollinating vector is for Dracunculus?  I am
assuming it is likely to be a carrion beetle or something like that, which
we don't have present in the Australian eco-system.  I often have
pollination of Arum species, but never of Dracunculus (and I haven't had
Amorph konjac flower for me yet to find out whether it selfs or not).

It is always interesting to come across comments like these, so I'm glad
you made it.  It just seems so strange to me thinking about Dracunculus
actually seeding, whereas you have to STOP yours doing so!!

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Oxalis, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about
anything else that doesn't move!!!!!