Re: [aroid-l] green Gonatopus

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] green Gonatopus
  • From: Plantman521@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:11:00 EDT

     Yes, I had 3 pots of the green form for sale on the member's table, and
only sold one (discounted), and gave away the other two. The Miami crowd
consider them weeds, but it is a pretty green color.
    When I brought home a 15 gallon monster plant of this from the show a few
years ago (from Scott Hyndman), my kids called it the 'Jolly Green Giant',
and that's what I have called it ever since. Not a 'legal' name, but it does
fit. But it still doesn't sell even with a good name.
    I think it is totally different than boivinii, since it flowers before
the foliage comes up, (the regular form flowers after the foliage), and it goes
dormant for a short time in early summer, where boivinii goes dormant for most
of the winter. And to my untrained eye, the flowers look different also. And
it is a much larger plant in all of it's parts.
     Maybe it would sell if Wilbert renames it as a new Amorphophallus?

Don Bittel