Re: [Aroid-l] Resubscribed

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Resubscribed
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:56:27 -0500 (CDT)

Joe, I'm responding to the list because this may be of interest to many
aroiders ...

Like any community, people are constantly joining and leaving the Internet
community, and likewise there are many address changes, so like snail-mail
lots of e-mail gets returned as "undeliverable". We geeks call this a
"mail bounce", and there are many reasons it happens but they break down
into 2 categories: permanent (you change providers or e-mail addresses) or
temporary (you go on vacation and your mailbox fills up).

Most listsevers have automatic facilities for handling "bounces", but
they're all a little different.

A few days ago, there was an outage somewhere and all mail from Aroid-L to
anyone on AOL started bouncing; after 5 consecutive bounces, the
listserver automatically set those subscriptions to "nomail", meaning they
are still subscribed but not receiving posts.

The listserver also sends everyone whose account is disabled this way a
warning every week for 3 weeks so they know what's happened. (And with
your password, you can go to the Gizmoworks web interface and set yourself
back to "mail"; if you don't know your password, you can request it at the
same place.) This is actually pretty lenient - I have been on lists where
after one (1) bounce, you were summarily unsubscribed, not just set to
nomail but dumped completely from the list!

I'll see about manually resetting the rest of the AOL subscribers to
"mail", and I'll bump the bounce limits just a little bit. We don't want
to set it too high as there's already enough unnecessary e-mail zinging
around the net.

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 Wrig14@aol.com wrote:

> It appears I am resub'd . Nice to be back.    I know of others   who are
> still off.    Was this a purge by  the  new carrier  I wonder  Joe

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list