Re: [Aroid-l] help

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] help
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:50:10 -0400

No apologies, Noel, we all start from zero.  Sounds to me like you
have A. bulbifer.  The bulbils will, indeed, make new plants.  Leave
them on the mother plant until the leaf withers - watch as it starts
to die down as they can fall off and get lost.  Plant with the
concave side that was attached to the mother UP.  I usually let my
babies sit on the mother's pot over winter when I just let the pot
dry out in the house and then plant them in spring when I repot the
mother tuber.  Have even had some sit on my desk over winter.  So far
( and I have only had this plant a few years) all the bulbils have
sprouted and grown on - I am now getting a little collection of this
species:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs

From: Noel Crisler <ncrisler@cox.net>
Please excuse my ignorance but I'm just starting to collect
Amorphophallus.
One of mine (label lost) has several round, brown buds, the biggest
of which is at the junction of where the leaves leave the trunk.
Looks to me as if I plant these, they will produce new plants.  Is
this correct?

Sorry to trouble you with what I'm sure is a dumb question.