Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus ID

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus ID
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:05:56 -0400

Hmmm, I never would have guessed koratensis, but it *is* extremely variable. Of the 50 or so that I've grown I just never had one with that color petiole.

Jani - koratensis has a globose tuber, medium brown and a bit rough. Asterostigmatus has flattened tubers, even dish-shaped, smooth skinned and also very thin skinned - I won't comment on the color.

Anyone who has ever seen them both would never get them mixed up. But it's not your fault you hadn't seen an asterostigmatus tuber before... But the seller should have known better - shame on him for misidentifying that species! (Although, in his defense, maybe he'd never seen them before either and was relying on *his* supplier to get it right!)

If you want real asterostigmatus have a look on my web site in a week or two. I just got them yesterday and there will be a short delay while updating the site (http://dragocactoid.com/amorphophallus.html).

Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:
Hi Jani,
This is Am. koratensis. You've been HAD !!!