Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma Merkusii

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma Merkusii
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:42:31 -0400

Julius I am sure will speak up as this is his favorite group. Merkusii may have one of if not the largest solid leaf in the plant world. I have seen photos of monstrous plants 15 to 20 feet tall with leaves 6 to 8 feet long and around 6 feet wide. They are usually grown in the Fiji island and are usually only eaten for special occasions. This is due to how much slower they are to grow than Colocasias and for their extreme size. They do seem to be very sensitive to cool weather and I have found that they can take some cold but they water should be heated if the water is heated they do very well.