Re: [Aroid-l] arum question

I guess our Arums forgot to read the books.  Now, there must be a good
reason why this happens.

> Hello, Tony!
> Maybe you are correct about the envy. But we must all remember that no
> matter which aroids we enjoy, we are all "brothers in arums".
> Yes, I have had that happen. It does not happen every year, but it does
> happen. I have a bed of A. italicum on the north side of my home, right
> under the condensation drip of my air conditioner. Additional shade is
> provided by a 1.5 meter Tasmanian tree fern and lots of sword fern. Add to
> that a top dressing of babies tears, and this one bed stays fairy cool and
> moist. As a result, a small fraction of plants do not go dormant during
> the
> summer about every three years or so. The plants that did not go dormant
> in
> the summer always do in the autumn, and start poking up again mid winter.
> tried to recreate these conditions as an experiment and the tubers rotted.
> As a side issue, I have had an A. palestinum ecotype from Mt. Carmel break
> dormancy in July and August rather than December/January, but again not
> every year. Also, I think that CJ Addington has had A. pictum bloom in the
> spring rather than in the fall.
> In that same vein, I have one Pinellia pedatisecta starting to come up. It
> and all its buddies just went dormant a month and a half ago.
> Grins,
> Christopher
> D. Christopher Rogers
> Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist
> ((,///////////=====<
> EcoAnalysts, Inc.
> (530) 406-1178
> 707 Dead Cat Alley
> Suite 201
> Woodland, CA 95695 USA
> ? Invertebrate Taxonomy
> ? Invertebrate Ecological Studies
> ? Bioassessment and Study Design
> ? Endangered Invertebrate Species
> ? Invasive Invertebrate Species
> ? Periphyton/ Phytoplankton
> ? Zooplankton
> Moscow, ID ? Bozeman, MT ? Woodland, CA ? Joplin, MO ? Selinsgrove, PA
> www.ecoanalysts.com

Tony Avent
USDA Zone 7b, (0-10F winter, 90-100F Summer)
Plant Delights Nursery
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC  27603, USA
ph 919.772.4794
fx 919.772.4752

"I consider every plant hardy until I've killed it myself...at least three
times."  - Avent
Aroid-L mailing list