Philondendron seeds from Brazil -Curent Taxonomy

  • Subject: Philondendron seeds from Brazil -Curent Taxonomy
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:18:28 -0500

Title: Philondendron seeds from Brazil -Curent Taxonomy
Dear John and all who have contacted me off line about these seeds,

        I do recommend the seller, but cannot vouch for the correct ID of these particular seed. I know there have been discrepancies, disagreements, OK arguments, about these names. Buying  seed always has some element of roulette.

        A prominent aroid grower who prefers to keep out of the fray made some fine observations, that I repeat here with some minor editing: (my addition italicized or not in quotes)

        He said he'd  "be willing to bet my nose against a dime these seeds come from/originate Seidel in Brazil, the list of names matches Seidel's list almost exactly."

        He "had a very pleasant, non-confrontational and LONG exchange with the present director in Brazil just about under a year ago, and ferreted out the info from the present owner of the seed Co. in Brazil.  His Dad, now passed on, the famous Alvim Seidel was a good friend of Graf, and the seeds Seidel in Brazil sell will grow to look like the plants labeled under these names.  Adult, mislabeled plants under these names are in fact illustrated by Graf in his OLD Exoticas. These are  NOT the plants we know by those names based on recent scientific/taxonomic descriptions. The seeds will grow to look like the plants in Graf's book.   He went through several orders from Seidel, and have proven that the seeds bought from Seidel do in fact grow to look like the plants in Graff's books, they are NOT the ''true'' species." as recognized today.

        "Mr. Donato Seidel (the younger) finally admitted their errors to me, and promised that they would have a Brazilian taxonomist visit their collection, correct the I.D.'s and bring their seed list up to date.   This has seemingly NOT happened."

        "You can use this info. to post to the aroid list.." And apologies if I have mis-quoted or altered anything in doing so.

        I think the disjuncture between current taxonomic knowledge of Brazilian species and misidentifications in Graf's books is well known. My intent in posting the list of seeds was to make these seed available to members more easily than ordering direct from Brazil which can be fraught with problems compared to ordering from Germany.

        I do not want to restart  anti -Graf or anti-Seidl discussion, but repeat my previous message's final words "Buyer Beware".

                Best            Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.
Kansas City Missouri 64152-2711