Re: Aglaonema cochinchinense

  • Subject: Re: Aglaonema cochinchinense
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Carol,

I do not have any photos of Aglaonema cochinchinense...however, I'd like to know what your interest in Aglaonema in general is.  I have a keen interest in the species, but, know very little about the genus, myself.  I just obtained a copy of Dan Henry Nicolson, A Revision of the Genus Aglaonema (Araceae).

I have collected many Aglaonema in the Philippines...completely ignorant of the species.  This was just after Corazon Aquino came to power following the assassination of her husband.  Dr. Vic Santos was my host in Luzon.  I also was sent many types of Aglaonema from Jack Craig in Java...again,ignorant of species, no data.  I am trying to teach myself a little about Aglaonema...so many species and cultivars, so little time.  Conrad Fleming may know more about these than I, as he sparked my renewed interest in Aglaonema species.  Bob Hirano, Betty Ho, and Roberto Burle-Marx were with us collecting all manner of plants in the Philippines... Aglaonema was a minor interest at the time...but we brought back all that was offered...all unidentified, I'm afraid.

I see that Aglaonema cochinchinense is found in South Vietnam, etc.  My niece is currently working in Vietnam and I can see if they have any photos of Aglaonema on limestone habitats...she knows nothing of the genus, but she loves nature in general and I can alert her to look for such things.  She will be in Hawaii this month, so I can show her all the plants I am growing...just to see if she finds anything similar in the wild.  However, soon she will transfer to Bangkok.