Re: Anthurium ID

Dear Steve:
    While I still consider A. balaoanum a distinct species it may prove to be merely an ecotype of A. dolichostachyum.  I know it only from the drier parts of Ecuador and it is a much smaller plant with longer, more slender internodes and thinner leaves as well as a smaller, thinner spadix with a very ephemeral spathe. However, no feature is qualatively different from A. dolichostachyum so perhaps the latter species simply has a wide ecological and altitudinal range.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of ExoticRainforest
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:32 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium ID

Leland, your knowledge of aroids far outweighs my own but I thought everyone who is an Anthurium enthusiast might like to read some of Tom's notes taken from TROPICOS.  Perhaps you can compare these to your plant and determine if your specimen is truly Anthurium balaoanum.  For those unfamiliar, the numbers at the beginning are Dr. Croat's specimen numbers.  Tom once explained in a series of personal emails that many people believe Anthurium balaoanum is Anthurium guildingiiA. balaoanum is from Ecuador and Anthurium guildingii is from the lower eastern Caribbean and as you know both plants are very different.
If your plant is Anthurium balaoanum I'd love to have a photo of the plant as well as the spathe to add to my webpage http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20balaoanum%20pc.html
#53706   Internodes short, 1.5-2 cm diam.; the roots ca. 5 mm diam., mostly directed downward; cataphyll lanceolate, 3-4 cm long; petiole 3-sided, broadly and sharply sulcate adaxially, sharply angular abaxially, the ridge usually markedly asperous; geniculum ca. 1 cm long; blades coriaceous, dark green, matte; the midrib narrow, obtuse, the lateral veins obscure; the lower surface slightly paler; the midrib sharply acute, prominently raised; the primary veins moderately obscure, slightly darker than the surface; inflorescences erect; the peduncle terete, asperous, tinged purple; spathe green, reflexed-spreading, moderately thin; spadix maroon turning brown, the pollen whitish.

#50719    Epiphytic; stem to ca 1 m long, internodes 1-1.5 cm long, 1-1.3 cm diameter; cataphylls deciduous; petiole terete; sterile; flowered in cultivation, spathe absent, spadix sessile, yellow-green, broadly arched, more or less tapered, stamens exserted, pollen pale yellow.
#73144   Terrestrial; internodes dark green; petioles obtusely flattened and weakly sulcate; blades subvelvety and weakly glossy above, much paler and glossy below, midrib acute and concolorous above, round-raised below; inflorescence erect; spathe green, deciduous; spadix yellow-green, moderately glossy.
#90395  Stems elongated to 1 m long; internodes short 2 cm diam.; petioles subterete, obtusely and weakly sulcate, weakly glossy, weakly flattened toward base; blade thinly coriaceous, dark green and matte-subvelvety above, slightly paler and weakly glossy below; midrib narrowly raised, bluntly acute, slightly paler above, narrowly round-raised and moderately paler below; primary lateral veins weakly paler, acute in shallow valley above bluntly and narrowly raised, paler below; tertiary vein in part weakly raised.
Dear Steve,

My plant is past blooming this year, I believe...but I will do so.  I think my plant must be something other than Anthurium balaoanum, if Dr. Croat's notes on the spadix are correct and diagnostic.

Aroid-L mailing list