Re: ?? Water-loving Anthurium species

  • Subject: Re: ?? Water-loving Anthurium species
  • From: Jay Vannini <heloderma5@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:18:51 -0600

Not sure if the list accepted a post from my other mail-server....a thousand pardons if this post is duplicated.

Greetings:

The images mentioned on the UBC website are mine, taken near El Guabal on the Caribbean versant of Veraguas Prov. Panama in late October 2007. According to an unpubl. (?) treatment of rheophytic anthuriums that Dr. Croat provided me some years back, A. rupicola is the lone member of Sect. Porphyrochitonium that survives his taxonomic revision of these puppies...all the other taxa mentioned are now considered to be Sect. Calomystrium. Having grown, wild-collected and propagated some of these spp. I happen to agree with this arrangement. Previously, all of these lance-leaf Anthurium spp. (incl. well-known ones such as amnicola and antioquiense) were also considered to be part of Sect. Porphyrochitonium and are treated as such by Kamemoto and Kuehnle in their '96 work on breeding ornamental anthuriums.

I have encountered the fully aquatic Spath mentioned both at the locality and in fast-flowing, boulder-strewn lowland streams flowing into the Caribbean in Omar Torrijos NP in Coclé. Plants are identical in general appearance to the rheophytic anthuriums being discussed, always deeply-rooted in gravel bottoms and always growing in less than 90 cm (3') of water, usually at depths less than 60 cm (2') near the edge. I remember that I found a name for this plant way back when, but Mr. Alzie eroding my memory...Dr. Croat will no doubt be able to provide a binomial for those interested.

I grow antioquiense, amnicola and rupicola. Easy but extremely sensitive to drying out between waterings (natch!).

I believe that a hort hybrid between antioquiense and amnicola that was developed years back at U Hawaii is (was?) circulating in SoFlo as true antioquiense...they tend to exhibit the lilac background color of  the amnicola parent, the greater size and vigor of antioquiense, but are not noticeably fragrant at anthesis.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, my observations in seasonally-flooded areas of upper Amazonia coincide with others...that PLENTY of terrestrial plants (including some Anthurium spp.) spend many months with there roots and lower stems fully submerged and are clear candidates for culture in (large) paludariums. Beyond this, I did collect an apparently undescr. cordate-leaf sp. of anthurium in eastern Perú that was rooted smack in the middle of a permanent stream. Seed from this taxon was distributed to some people on this forum in 2001 and it is my understanding that Lynn Hannon donated her collection of these plants to MOBOT prior to her passing, so it may persist in culture at that BG. I still keep a few here for laughs.

Cheerio,