2009 IAS Show Best in Show plant......Philodendron 'Maharalika'

  • Subject: 2009 IAS Show Best in Show plant......Philodendron 'Maharalika'
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 21:07:05 -0500

Those of you that often read by rantings on this or other forums must know by now I prefer true Philodendron species over hybrids varieties. This one breaks my rule!

This is LariAnn Garner's Philodendron 'Maharalika' which is a second generation (F2) hybrid between P. bipinnatifidum x P. stenolobum. I found this to be one of the most stunning plants in the entire IAS show in Miami and there were many phenomenal plants on display.

You can't tell from the photo but this is a very large leaf blade! My guess would be four feet since I didn't have a tape to measure the leaf.

As one of the IAS members asked to judge the show I wanted to steal this one!  I'd display this plant in my personal collection in a heartbeat and I own very few hybrids.

Congratulations LariAnn. This is an incredible work of love!  Very well grown.

If you missed the 2009 show please begin to make your plans to attend next September.  You'll come home with plants you never knew existed!  But sorry, I don't think this one is for sale just yet.

JPEG image

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list