Re: Cold Tolerant Amporhs

  • Subject: Re: Cold Tolerant Amporhs
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:27:34 -0500 (CDT)

Neil,

I am also in zone 6 (NW Arkansas) though we used to periodically see -28 C
(-20 F) as overnight lows. The only Amorph that has proven itself through
the worst this climate has to give is A. konjac. I gave some to a friend
at the Denver BG and they have survived for 5 or 6 years there now also.

The only other species I have outdoors is a plant of A. bulbifer, which
has now survived for I think 3 years (I'd have to check the records) with
no special treatment. We have not seen anything below -18 C (0 F) for
about 9 years now, but it did come through the horrible ice storm in
January of this year with no problem. I know from experience with other
plants that some things that tolerate cold well will not tolerate a layer
of ice on the ground for days slowly melting, so that gives me hope for
long-term hardiness here.

Steve

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Neil Carroll wrote:

> Doin a yard cleanup for a client today and found this Amorphophallus
> growing in a compost pile. This is in Mars Hill, NC and is in hardiness
> zone 6. Thinking Amoph.  paenefolius?? What do ya think? Do folks know
> of other Amorphs that will live in these conditions?...the cold?

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com