More IAS show information

  • Subject: More IAS show information
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 02:27:16 -0500 (CDT)

Aroiders, more good show info - and more yet to come. Stay tuned ...
as usual, see http://www.aroid.org/show/ for more info or to register.

No plant show worth the name is complete without information being
communicated. One of the founding goals of the IAS is the dissemination of
information, correct information, about aroids. Among the types of
information where we excel are horticultural practices and techniques, and
proper plant identification, whether for rare species or common ones.
Aside from the innumerable private conversations among attendees (which is
a real strong point for us), several more formal presentations are
conducted on Saturday afternoons by knowledgeable individuals. This year's
topics are as follows.
1. LariAnn Garner will present an audio-visual program called "The Most
   Popular Plants You Never Heard Of." Who can resist a title like that?
   LariAnn is one of our more popular members and her presentation is sure
   to be entertaining as well as informed by years of hands-on experience
   with our favorite green friends.
2. Scott Wade will be giving a horticultural program as well, entitled
   "Why Basic Aroid Botany Matters". Since a large number of our members
   and potential members are mainly growers and appreciators of success
   with plants, this one-two punch will be right on the money. Both
   programs are entirely suitable for those who are just beginning, but
   may be intimidated by all the expertise around them. We strive to make
   aroid culture accessible to all. A nice, thriving aroid is a wonder to
   behold and satisfying to the soul.
3. Finally, we tap into one of the leading aroid taxonomists for a look at
   a program called LUCID. Tom Croat has been identifying and naming new
   aroids for a zillion years. The LUCID program from CATE Araceae at Kew
   was devised to facilitate idenfication of aroid species for everyone,
   even if you are not a taxonomist. Dr. Croat will be our guide to this
   tool for correctly identifying our aroids.

Come to the IAS lectures. No matter how much you know, there's always
something more to learn.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-L mailing list