From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Marek Argent
Sent: Friday, 3 September, 2010 10:37 AM
To: discussion of aroids
Subject: [Aroid-l] Fw: Homalomena or ...?

Dear Friends,

I bought an aroid in a pet shop as an aquarium plant.

I think it is a species of Homalomena or something from Schismatoglottideae from SE Asia.

The leaves are stiff, dry in touch, like the leaves of Aglaonema.

The petioles are reddish at the base (but not always).

The leaf blades are 12-17 cm long on 11-14 cm long petioles.

It produces 2 inflorescences from a node. They are 3 cm tall on 4 cm long peduncles.

When I bought it, 3 days ago, all the spathes were tightly wrapping the inflorescence.

Today one of them opened, I didn't notice when, but it didn't unroll like most aroids.

I found it detached from the peduncle, a few cm away.

The inflorescence was rotten at the base, so it fell off as I touched it.

The female flowers are about 1mm tall x 0.6 mm wide. There are no pistillodes or staminodes.

I opened also the second inflorescence,

but now I have no possibility to transfer the new photos.

The spathe is very thick, the female flowers are green

and there is an incredible amount of wet pollen on the male flowers.

I may send the photos tomorrow.

It seems the plant was brutally cut off by a "collector",

because there are no roots at all.

I hope it will recover in my small greenhouse.

The plant looks almost identically as the one that was identified as Homalomena insignis.

I managed to rescue it, but it is still very small. This one is more robust.

(I attach 3 photos, these with dates as filenames are Hom. insignis,

these beginning from 100 are photos of the new plant)

Very Best,

Marek