Re: arisaema candidissimum

Without a shadow of doubt there are two factors that contributed to this declining reapparance. One is plants emerging "too early" in the year and being set-back by cold and the other is the growing season too short. The former issue is very tough to counteract as the emergence 'trigger' seems to be in-built and not triggered by external conditions. One may to counteract this is the 'old fashioned' method of a deep mulch such as bracken but even then the new shoots grow so quickly they will often etiolate badly.

Regarding short grwoing seasons (and thus declining tuber size year-on-year) the ebst way is to really pack in the fertilizer when plants are active. Wilbert does this on his Amorphs and gets the most remarkable tuber-results in a short growing season.

Peter.