Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 09:46:46 -0700
From: Craig Smith <craigsmith@sprintmail.com>
To: burns@mobot.org
Subject: A. Konjac growing season : A Question

Hello Don,
A few weeks ago I sent out this question along with an offer to send
people Konjac tubers.  I got several requests for tubers (which I will
send) but not one answer to my question.  I thought that, since the
question was attached to the end of the note, people might have missed it
(or assumed that someone else would answer).  Could you please help me
with some advice???

My largest tuber came up very late this year.  As a result, it
will have a very short time to regrow its tuber.  Around here, near
Rochester NY, the leaf of an A. Konjac turns yellow and dies in mid to
late September.  I would like to prolong growth for a few extra weeks but
I as not sure what the trigger is that causes the plant to wither. Can
you please tell me if it is the colder temperatures in the daytime, the
colder temperatures at night, the soil temperature, the shorted days
(light), the dimmer light, or something else???????  If you can tell me
the answer, I will try to accommodate the trigger and hopefully get
enough extra time to offset the late start.  Any suggestions will be
welcome!

Thank you for your help.
Craig