Re: What is it?

     Sounds like Colocasia esculenta `Fontanesii'
     Alistair Hay

Subject: What is it?
Author:  <> at mailgate
Date:    9/3/98 3:37 PM

I have a purple stemmed "taro" that I collected from a creek in Santa Cruz,
CA, about 4 months ago.  The owner of the property was uncertain of the
origin of these plants or of their names.  They were growing in about
12"-24" of slow moving water and had become rather invasive; an annual
event I understand.  At home, I potted them in 12" pots were they grew
within 6 weeks to about 4'-5' high and produced a goldish inflorescence
that was quite beautiful.  Every 4 days or so, another flower would emerge
from just above the origin of the preceding flower's source.  Of the four
plants that are potted, three of them produced 4 flowers in this way.  At
this time, it looks like two of them have set seed as they are not wilting
and beginning to swell.
If I send a photo(s) of these, will someone identify them for me?  If the
seeds do develope, I can send them to Aroidiana for distribution.  Thank
you, Gary