RE: The Tate Community Garden Redux

Vicky:

I've discussed your project with a number of my NYC activist/community
gardener friends who have many of the same reservations as I have about an
arts institution management ( some of whom have "Ks") and prole type
volunteer community gardeners working together on a project of this sort. It
seems to be a ,"there will be tears before bedtime," situation. We all hope
that we'll be wrong and that your Tate/community gardener situation will be
a fantastic success.

This wouldn't be the first gardening innovation that we would have received
from the hands of you Brits. Most aging baby-boomer organic gardeners in the
states worship at the shrine of Alan Chadwick, a British
artist/Shakespearean actor, naval officer, madman and brilliant organic
gardener whose magisterial organic gardening and teaching at the University
of California Santa Cruz  inspires and guides us to this day. It would be a
hoot if your Tate Museum community garden ended up being named after him.

I've attached some websites that may be of interest to your gardeners and
the powers that be at the Tate:

http://store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/tribtoalchad.html

http://www.ecotopia.org/ehof/chadwick/

http://metalab.unc.edu/london/orgfarm/permaculture/Alan.Chadwick/

http://metroactive.com/papers/cruz/10.02.97/chadwicks-garden-9740.html

Here is the training program that has trained hundreds of US organic
gardeners that grew out of Chadwick's work:

http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/casfs/brochure98.html

Here's a website about an artist/garden created during the '70's by Adam
Purple (a homegrown- madman- NYC  artist community gardener) that may be of
interest:

http://www.panix.com/~blackout/purple.html

Again, Great Luck and let us know how you've progressed.

Adam