land acquisition

I am doing graduate research on the acquisition of urban land with the intent
to start up community gardens or agricultural work. Of special interest to me
are: projects under way or starting in Chicago; stories about getting vacant
land out of tax delinquency, through condemned buildings, or similar
situations; projects that become productive economically; organizations that
build strategies of community intervention, or ones that rely on cooperation
between community groups and city government or business leaders for support.

I greatly appreciate any prompt replies to my query.

Ezra Hozinsky
School of Architecture
University of Illinois at Chicago