RE: botanical gardens/arboreta

Kyla,

Community gardeners in NYC  are particularly fortunate in having  world
class botanical gardens in our midst:

1) The NY Botanical Garden in the Bronx:

 http://www.nybg.org/

and it's superb horticultural outreach program, Bronx Green up:

http://www.nybg.org/chil_edu/programs/bronx.html & their marvelous
composting program:

http://www.nybg.org/chil_edu/programs/brnxcomp.html .

2) The NY Botanic Garden in Brooklyn:

http://www.bbg.org/

their myraid superb and affordable gardening and back yard gardening
publications,

http://209.213.98.30/acb/index.cfm?&DID=8

and of course, American Community Gardnening Association board member, BBG
staff member,  Ellen Kirby, Director, Brooklyn GreenBridge, Community
Horticulture Program ellenkirby@bbg.org who does remarkable neighborhood
outreach, garden and compost trouble-shooting, etc.

3) The garden that I volunteer at is the Clinton Community Garden in
Manhattan, where we just received a dump truck full of  black gold
(beautifully composted christmas tree and leaf compost) from the Dept. of
Sanitation/Queens Botanical garden composting project.

All of the above would seen absolutely idyllic were it not for NYC's  brain
dead land use policy that currently defines community gardens as prime empty
lots suitable for buldozing, designated for development in the great bye and
bye - e.g. we have 11,000 empty lots and 500 endangered community gardens in
a city that has less open space for citizens than most US metropolitan
areas. Our mayor and real estate community believe that gardens must be used
first to serve developer's appetites - after all, they have already been dug
out and cleared of unfriendly uses.

Hoping that this has been useful to you,

Adam Honigman

http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org