RE: Community Gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community Gardens
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:04:49 -0400

A) This is a great definition of community gardens from Betsy Johnson,
Boston area community garden hero:

Community Gardens are community spaces that are communally cultivated and
cared for; these spaces may consist of individually-worked plots, multiple
person caretaker areas, sitting areas, and small-scale children play-areas
(stand-alone tot lots are not considered community gardens).

Betsy Johnson, Garden Futures

B) This is from Lenny Librizzi, web, geographical and garden guru:

The best statistics that I know of are available are from the ACGA monograph
"National Community Garden Survey"
published in June 1998. The research was done by Suzanne Monroe-Santos for
her masters thesis at U.C. Davis. This
was an update of a similar survey "Findings from the National Community
Garden Survey" also published as a
monograph by ACGA, in June 1992 by Andy Stone of TPL. Suzanne also wrote an
article in the 1998 Community
Greening Review, p.12 titled "Recent National Survey Shows Status of
Community Gardens in the U.S."
She found 6018 community gardens reported by 38 cities.
Atlanta figures were not reported in either survey.
I have lost contact with Suzanne but I guess her thesis would be on file at
U.C. Davis. I have single copies of the
monographs I mentioned in my office.
You may want to check out:
for info about NYC gardens.
Lenny Librizzi

Two good sources of information are:

1) The website of the American Community Gardening Association. My
suggestion is that you go through the entire site, click and print and visit
all of the links. This should give you a pretty good idea of where the
movement is at the current time in North America & parts of Europe.  The
publication and informational links are quite fine.

1 (a) You should also click on the garden links in the area near you. Once
you start to talk to the people on the ground, you'll get local stories,
talk to the agricultural extension agents who service community gardens, and
learn about open space and land use issues in your area.

2) Master gardeners, community garden coordinators/organizers and volunteer
firemen like myself communicate on the Mallorn Community Garden listserve on
topics relevant to your research.  Reading, clicking and printing through
our archives ( please remember to attribute the quotes, it'll raise your
grade.) These are monthly listings which can be ordered by author or topic.

Note:  Check your MLA guide for the correct way to footnote and make
bibliographical  listings of web material - there should be a copy in your
school library, talk to the librarian if your have any questions.

3) Please feel free to check out the website of the Clinton Community Garden
, http:www.clintoncommunitygarden.org , where I volunteer. This  tiny NYC
community garden ( 150' x 100') established in 1978 has been very lucky.

4) The oldest continually operating community garden in the US may very well
be the  Eagle Heights community garden in Madison Wisconsin,
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/ . I love the aerial photo on the site.

4) Please feel free to forward the list a copy of your paper. We get
frequent requests for information on research projects, but seldom , if
ever, see the results.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out for you,

Adam Honigman