RE: Artificial aquifers

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Artificial aquifers
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:08:12 -0400

Betsy,

1) Never had one, but this site from the Central Ground Water Authority in
India looks extremely promising:

http://www.cgwaindia.com/

2) This UN document may be useful to you:

http://www.oas.org/usde/publications/Unit/oea59e/begin.htm#Contents

Chapter 1.9 is the most relevant to your search:

http://www.oas.org/usde/publications/Unit/oea59e/ch18.htm

3) A World Metereological Organization publication:

Artificial Recharge of Aquifers : Methods and Techniques / by K. Hefny.
Geneva: HWR,  1995. (Technical Reports in Hydrology and Water Resources No.
45). (WMO/TD 620). 30  p.Call Number: WMO/TD 620

4)  In a former life as a litigation and environmental paralegal I read
literally thousands of pages dealing with water borne  chemical and
biological pollutants, underground streams, oil plumes and the like. The
idea of doing an underground artificial aquifer in an urban area seems
frought with "interesting" challenges.  My first inclination would be to
seriously discuss this with your local municipality's  water management
professionals,  city corporate and environmental counsel, the US
Environmental Protection Agency and your state and municipal equivalents.

Also, it might be worth while to read up on the pertinent sections of your
city's Sanitary Code.

Sorry to be a wet blanket on this one, but environmental law is on par with
complex corporate litigation in complexities and expensive boomeranging
implications.

Great luck,

Adam Honigman