RE: getting volunteers involved

  • Subject: RE: [cg] getting volunteers involved
  • From: Fred Conrad <fred.conrad@acfb.org>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:50:53 -0500

we have a fairly successful volunteer program that is set up to match
volunteer teams with gardens that need them.  it took a while to work the
bugs out of the system, but now we have good relations with some key
partners and a bunch of tools and we can accomplish a fairly wide range of
tasks.  last year we had 1400 volunteers who put in 4500 hours in community

first, we only work with groups of 10 to 40 volunteers, not individuals.  we
began by borrowing most of the tools from the local Tool Bank, but
eventually ended up with enough to outfit about 35 people for a typical
event.  along with tools, materials and supervision, we also provide drinks,
snacks, gloves, sunscreen and a first-aid kit.  they say feeding volunteers
is the number one retention tool.  also, it's important to have enough work
to keep the volunteers busy, they need to feel that they were helpful.

we have established solid partnerships with several local volunteer programs
and with schools and faith organizations.  they range from PATH -
Presbyterian Answer to Hunger to Georgia Tech to Girl Scout Troop 153.  just
a few moments ago i worked with 15 kids from a school for children with
reading disabilities and they were fun and funny and fresh and warm and
amazing and they learned a lot and worked a lot.  the gardeners were glad to
have the help and the kids had so much fun - and i'm always impressed how
people will rise to the occasion no matter how hard the job is.

at any rate, many private schools have service-learning programs, colleges
have activities coordinators, corporations have community service days,
faith organizations have youth programs, scouts have a huge desire to do
meaningful work, the list goes on and on.  once you get the word out that
you need volunteers you will probably find that there are lots out there.
it's really worth it to table at earth-day events, farmers markets, make
presentations to garden clubs, that sort of thing.  good luck!