RE: Evaluation/Research Roundtable in NY?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Evaluation/Research Roundtable in NY?
  • From: Connie Nelson <connien@shfoodbank.org>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:55:07 -0800

America's Second Harvest, the national donation system for food and related
products, does a national survey about every 5 years to show a snapshot of
hunger.  A2H provides food to non-profit agencies for distribution to
hunger-relief programs.

This report is incredibly detailed and uses enough statistics to make your
head spin.  It is also regarded as one of the definitive data sources on
hunger in America.

However I like Adam's suggestion that we come up with a survey that
participating community gardens could complete annually.  Use of this data
could be very significant in obtaining funding and confirming the value of
community gardening not only as a food source, but a means of community
development, microenterprise, etc...

It would also provide a longitudinal approach to track changes over time.

My first three questions would be:

1) Who would be the repository of this information?
2) What is it we want to know?
3) Any volunteers who might like to take this on?

Any thoughts?