RE: funding questions

  • Subject: RE: [cg] funding questions
  • From: Connie Nelson <connien@shfoodbank.org>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:35:12 -0700

Jonathan:

Another source might be your local community development block grant folk.
Generally the decision on that pot of money takes place around Sept - Oct.
Each neighborhood gets money and they, the residents, SHOULD be deciding how
it is spent.  I found ours were quite receptive  Time to put in your
application for a piece of that.

Also, contact your local hospital. One of ours has been VERY generous so far
(possibly 1/2 million in land, fencing, meeting room space, irrigation).

What about businesses in the area that do gardening stuff, however
peripherally?  Garden clubs, garden shops, equipment dealers, banks that
make ag loans etc.

Check into your local county extension for information, curriculums, your
4-h group, seeds, etc.

Just a side note: I did AmeriCorps*VISTA for two years and the last 6 months
were devoted to doing research on community gardening.  What surprised me
was how easy it was to local support for everything from meeting space to
special tools for the handicapped.  Kinda one of those programs that sells
itself.

Good luck!
Connie Nelson, Program Manager / Branch Supervisor
Second Harvest Food Bank
1234 E Front Ave
Spokane, WA   99202