dying gardens, senior gardeners

  • Subject: [cg] dying gardens, senior gardeners
  • From: "Sally McCabe" <smccabe@pennhort.org>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:31:27 -0400

PLEASE REPLY TO EILEEN   egallagh@pennhort.org

Here in Philadelphia we're faced with an extremely old gardening population.
We've been supporting them for the last few years both financially and
physically out of respect for the moving and shaking they did for the
community in years past. But at this point these large mostly vegetable
gardens have dwindled from 30+ participants to 5 or 6 elderly folk, who are
unable anymore to maintain the common areas or even their own plots.

We've done the whole deal of recruiting in the neighborhood, looking for new
gardeners to take on the gardens. We have plenty of new, younger gardeners
in other areas, but no luck here.

Has anyone ever come up with a graceful way of bowing out of these
situations without either the gardeners or the sponsoring organization
losing face?