Re: children in community gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] children in community gardens
  • From: PapagenoNY@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:53:13 EDT

Dear Sheila

We at the Town of Guilderland Community Gardens on the edge of Albany/NY include in our rules that children are welcome and that parents are responsible for their behavior. We look at the potential for children to learn the wonderful world of gardening under the control and guidance of their parents .

For my 2 cents,  I would think "abuse of children" may be a stretch for inclusion in the garden's rules. After all, I would expect that you live in a municipality/city/state that outlaws abuse of any sorts. Not sure that it would need to be part of garden use rules.

Just a thought.

Jerry Houser
Town of Guilderland
Community Gardens

Sheila  wrote:

Some neighborhood children's programs will begin coming into the garden this summer to garden and to enjoy the greenspace.  Some board members want a written policy addressing the safety of the children in the garden, particularly about child abuse.  Does anyone have any information or experience with writing a safety policy for children in gardens?  thank you in advance.

Sheila deBettencourt
Edgehill Community Garden