RE: ACGA Conference in NYC-Early bird deadline May 1

  • Subject: RE: [cg] ACGA Conference in NYC-Early bird deadline May 1
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:31:44 -0400

Friends,

Not only will this be a tremendous ACGA conference, as President Ellen Kirby
says, but your presence here as community gardeners,  WILL be noticed by the
government of the State & City of New York and all those politicians who
think that gardeners don't count.

This is NOT the era when former Mayor Rudy Giuliani could cavalierly tell
the Grammy Awards to take a hike, saying that we'd " make up those few
millions in a walk." Mr. Giuliani, as you may know  has taken a walk, we
have a new mayor, Mr. Bloomberg who is looking very carefully at the
cost/benefit ratio of everything - including community gardens. That a few
hundred of us will be camping out very peacefully at Columbia University and
environs, taking in the sites, spending money, and bearing witness is a very
good thing for this city and for it's community gardens.-

Alot of folks are out of work here because of the double whammy of September
11th and that "recession thing" .

The city is  looking at a  5  Billion Dollar budget gap.

Yes, that's Billion with a "B".

I know that you guys aren't Rockefellers, but your being here will help -
alot.

In keeping with my usual tradition of information overkill, I've added a
little e-mail from NYC's Independent Budget Office for your reading pleasure
to show you what it's like being 5 Billion short.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman