NYC Garden Bulldozed

  • Subject: [cg] NYC Garden Bulldozed
  • From: Mark Leger <trix@panix.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:58:22 -0400

Hey, I haven't really contributed to this list so far, but I thought this
item might be of interest. It's an account of the the destruction of the
Cabo Rojo Community Garden, which happened this morning. For details on Cabo
Rojo, check out the More Gardens! website - http://www.moregardens.org. More
Gardens! is asking people to call Nos Quedamos, the developer, at
718-585-2323 to protest. Say where you're from. I know it might be a long
distance call. But Nos Quedamos trades on its reputation as groovy
community-conscious concern. Out-of-towners calling them on their stuff
would have an effect. There are still 19 gardens threatened by this
development, so getting Nos Quedamos to the table to deal is still a
political goal.

And, if you can, clip this out and forward it to the far, wide, and in

Mark Leger
Brooklyn Alliance of Neighborhood Gardens (BANG)

*To subscribe to BANG-Alert, send a message to

What we know so far....

Sadly, the garden was bulldozed at around noon today.  Police came in at 8
am, threw everyone out, but two people were in lockdown and could not be
moved for hours.  They took the casita and the children's plots.  Big pile
of dirt by the gate.  Lots of bushes still standing for now and parts of the
garden are still green.  NYPD, Housing police, HPD, someone from the mayor's
office were in attendance, and so were many people who cared about this
garden, neighborhood gardeners, local activists.

4 people are in custody at the 40th precinct on 138th and Alexander.  The 2
lockdowns will be put thru the system and we hope they'll get out tonight,
else tomorrow.  The other two were there after the initial wave, trying to
save some of the flowers, and they will probably get desk appearance

The Times was there, also Bronx Channel 12 and other media too (I think CBS
and New York One).  Perhaps some of this will break through today's media
blitz about the explosion in Chelsea.  WBAI announced the situation this
morning; thanks, Francoise.

Will let you all know as more info comes in.

Remember it's important to tell Nos Quedamos (they are denying any
involvement in this .. hah!) how we feel about their attack on a valued
community garden, and on the children who grew their daffodils and green
peppers there.  718-585-2323