RE: Community gardens on campus

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community gardens on campus
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:02:40 -0400

Jerome,

You may want to contact the Eagle Heights Community Garden, a huge organic community garden sited at the University of Wisconsin, Madision since 1962 http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/ . The institutional memory Eagle Heights Community Garden ( 40 years? Wow) cannot but help you in the process of setting up procedures, governance and best practices.

Also, I know that you visited the ACGA site, however, set up a couple of evenings when you'll pour yourself a libation, load up alot of paper in your printer and click on all of the individual community garden links. The wealth of information on governance, volunteer support and organic best practices to be found within is extraordinary.

Also, get yourself some interested friends involved in the process as soon as possible. Community gardening is a group activity, after all - there is no reason for you to try to carry this project alone. The sooner that you get people involved with a sense of ownership, the better off you and the garden will be.

Go to the community garden listserve archives: there are discussions going back several years there on most of the topics you mentioned: http://www.hort.net/lists/community_garden/

Also, if you have found something, or a garden that interests you, please feel free to contact them. Community gardeners this day use e-mail as a way of talking over the garden fence.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden