  • Subject: [cg] Foxgloves
  • From: Steve Smoot steveshome@juno.com
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 10:29:52 -0700

Hi Adam,
Foxgloves behave like biennials - bloom then fade and die. They usually put out small plants around the base that may survive the winter.
Why don't you plan on taking the blooms home and letting the plants put their energies into vegetative babies instead of seed babies - a tall vase in a corner location, maybe some large fern leaves or evergreen boughs - sounds pretty, huh?
I too was captivated by these flowers when I was a child in my grandmother's cottage garden. I'm thinking about a definition of a "cottage garden" that would include: ". . .most of the plants must be taller than a 3-year old." That way, small children find the glories of the flowers above them and framed by the heavens. The foxglove bells are tiny celestial worlds for a toddler's fantasies.