Re: CG's in Central NJ?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] CG's in Central NJ?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:23:29 EDT

1) This outit is run by a Princeton alum and has a community garden part of
its program:

Isles Inc.
Community Gardens and Urban Development - Trenton (North Ward), NJ

Isles is a non-profit community development organization in Trenton begun by
Princeton alum Marty Johnson '81. The organization attempts to make its
clients as self-sufficient as possible. Some of the areas that Isles is
involved in are environmental education, urban gardening, housing, and
vocational education.

The Isles group will cultivate and clean up community gardens in Trenton and
possibly assist in doing housing surveys or translating materials. The Isles
group members work outdoors and usually get a little dirty, but community
residents get down and dirty right beside them.

2) This is an answer to a NJ query that I sent out earlier this month:

We don't have any web listings on the ACGA website for New Jersey gardens,
but that may be because no volunteer at these gardens ever set up a website
for them.   <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community
Gardening Association</A>

However, if memory serves me...

1) You might try a project called Denville Community Gardens, a row of garden
plots on Diamond Spring Road. If I'm not mistaken, they're right near the
Public Library? It's my understanding that folks who don't have enough
property to have their plants or flowers or pumpkins and tomato plants will
plant them there.  The deal is that  gardeners must commit at least four
hours per week to keep their plantings neatly maintained during the growing

2) Montville Township's Community Park on Changebridge Road has  120 acres
include trails, six sports fields-four of which are lit-community gardens for
gardening/farming space for residents, and an outdoor amphitheater for Summer
concerts and performances.

3) I'm not sure if this is the same as the above, but the Morris Park
Commission's Community Gardens have plots for rent -  near the Frelinghuysen
Arboretum  http://parks.morris.nj.us/parks/frelarbmain.htm

Great luck,

Adam Honigman,
Volunteer,  <A HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton