Re: gravel under raised beds as an extra protectant?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] gravel under raised beds as an extra protectant?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:46:11 EDT

Amanda,

Depending on the nature and level of toxicity of your site, you may even want
to cover it up and place containers on it in order to keep your plants,
especially Detroit Dark Red Beets from sucking up the badness.

Also, if you plan on having kids or pregnant ladies working on the site,
there are other concerns, especially if there are heavy metal issues.  There
are long discussions on this and other pollutant issues in the community
garden archives accessible through the mallorn.com site.

When your testing comes back, please let us and the friendly  mastergardeners
as well as the agricultural extension  in your state know what is in your
dirt so we can figure out how to best deal with your issues.  It may be as
simple as raised beds with gravel - but it may mean enclosed containers or
even a remediation of the site (an expensive option to be sure) that may be
needed.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] gravel under raised beds as an extra protectant?