Tell me your stories!

  • Subject: [cg] Tell me your stories!
  • From: Diana Kanter dikanter@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:25:30 -0700 (PDT)

I used this listing service a few months ago to find
cities with policies for community gardening.  Now Iím
looking for the history behind the policies.  I need
your badly!  It will go a long way in getting this
legislation passed for the City of Milwaukee,
Wisconsin that will make community gardens a permanent
permitted use:

Chp. 295-201. Definitions. 473. RAISING OF CROPS AND
LIVESTOCK means the growing of crops, including any
farm, orchard, COMMUNITY GARDEN (ADD) or other
establishment used for the growing of crops....etc,
etc. (Minutes from the Zoning Code Task Force)

My group and I have found several more to add to the
list.  Here are the cities we have found policies for
in no particular order:
Seattle, Washington
Madison, Wisconsin
Berkeley, California
Portland, Oregon
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Boston, Massachusetts
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
San Francisco, California
Spokane, Washington
Chicago, Illinois
Austin, Texas
...Milwaukee, Wisconsin????

With your help we can make community gardens in
Milwaukee a permanent permitted use.

Thank your for all the previous help!

Thank you in advance for the all help I know I am
going to receive!

When we have finished our report, I will be happy to
share any information we have found and I haven't
forgotten those have already asked.

Thank you again, Diana Kanter
Urban Planning Graduate Student
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee