gardening as a permitted use

  • Subject: [cg] gardening as a permitted use
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 04:03:42 -0400

Adam, isn't a thing legal if it is not specifically prohibited?

"make community gardens in Milwaukee a permanent permitted use."  is from
Diana Kanter, Urban Planning Graduate Student
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  Phila. has a lot of concrete but the Wm.
Penn orders to have the block square parks within the city boundaries did
force the creation of a lot of playgrounds and parks in my home town.  You
come upon some really lovely open space unexpectedly!  I agree with Adam
that the Recreation and Parks angle is worth looking into!

The new national security worry, (use our former Gov. Ridge for something
useful), could be used to convince commissioners that victory gardens on
perpetually designated vacant lots are not really "farm use" but security
against terrorism in the event that access to normal delivery lines is
disrupted...

I live a block from expanded freight shipping yards for points west and to
the Northeast.  Talk about ground zero, when the towers went, I knew that
the terrorists weren't into anything but symbolism.  We were the first and
maybe the only ones with masks that will enable us to get to relatives
further out of itty bitty Harrisburg.  Living in a city that is really the
size of a joke compared to Phila. and NYC is a blessing.

Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.