  • Subject: [cg] Cinderblocks.
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:51:31 EDT

I've found ciderblocks great for stacking to make benches in gardens (flat,
not standing up or sideways) or for use in the foundation of a patio or other
large piece of infrastructure like a shed, in lieu of freshly laid cement (we
rented a mixer for the slab that our new shed sits on at the CCG.)

However, I've found that unless you have hanging plants, like sweetpotato
vine,  growing from the holes in the cinderblocks, the effect is decidedly
unaesthetic if you choose to use them as planters.  Some of our earlier
gardeners used cinderblocks to frame their beds, originally, but chose brick
or wood largely because of the aesthetics.  Fortunately, red bricks were
plentiful in NYC vacant lots (before canny demolition companies started
gleaning them for resale as "aged bricks") so many of our gardens have
redbrick paths and borders.

Its been also said that new red bricks manage to walk to community gardens
"by themselves" from construction sites easier than large cinderblocks - but
the lady who said that refuses to be quoted in this forum...;)

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman