Re: No Subject: Writing About Community Gardens for Money

  • Subject: [cg] Re: No Subject: Writing About Community Gardens for Money
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:10:16 EDT

Thank you so much  sending your writing sample.

A few books to borrow, buy or steal:

Strunk & White, "The Elements of Style"

Bernstein, T.M. ,"The Careful Writer: A Modern Guide to English Usage"

Adams, P.D & Tickle, A, "The Harper Collins Concise Handbook for Writers"

Hall, Donald, "Writing Well: A Modern Guide"

Fowler, H.W. "Modern English Usage"

Nicholson, M. "A Dictionary of American-English Usage

Mencken, H.L. "The American Language"

And for garden writing,  anything by Gertrude Jekyll, "Onward and Upward in
the Garden," by New Yorker editor Katherine S. White and "My Garden (Book),"
by Jamaica Kincaid.

The best written, one volume treatment of community gardening remains,
Jobb, J.  (1979).  The Complete Book of Community Gardening.  New York:
William Morrow and Co. Every time I get the bug to write one, I just pick
Jobb's book and realize that even after 23 years, it's hard to beat for
historical context and down to earth, practical advice. Because this book is
so good, it's usually missing from most public libraries (i.e.,  "Steal this
Book!" ) I obtained my copy from Amazon.

Another fine cg book that you'll find missing from your in local library is:

A Handbook of Community Gardening
By Boston Urban Gardeners - Edited By Susan Naimark
Charles Scribner's Sons - New York 1982
SB457.3.H26 635  81-23302

ISBN 0-684-17466-9  AACR2

Any good dictionary will do.  My companions are the the two volume shorter
Oxford English Dictionary and a beaten up American Heritage Dictionary (circa
1973) whose usage panel included S.I. Hayakawa, Jessica Mitford, David
Ogilvy, William F. Buckley, Daniel. P. Moynihan, John Ciardi,  Issac Asimov,
Russell Baker, Allen Tate and Margaret Mead.  If you don't know who these
people are (or were) the journey of discovering them will be worth the

Writing well is hard work - comparable to breaking and moving buried concrete
in a muddy community garden site, daily.   And that's the first draft.
Editing your own writing is akin to weeding the  morning glories,  grown
overnight in your skin, with a dull, rusty trowel.

If you don't know who Sisyphus was or the book Camus wrote about his myth,
please do so.  Sisyphus is the writer's patron saint.

If you really want to read fine prose, the Norton Anthologies, or the John
Gross edited "New Oxford Book of English Prose," should set you back on your
heels - its like looking in Tiffany's window with a dime in your pocket.

Making money as a writer, as good and full of hope as you may be, even if you
put three  hours a day before work (with a watch on your desk to encourage an
allotted word count, like novelist Anthony Trollope) is a marginal  business
at best.

I wish you luck.   Write your book first.

The area of law you are interested in is called "Intellectual Property."  On
the next rainy day go to a good local library to delve in its rocks and
shoals.  I believe that you would be better off writing promotional pieces,
grant applications and making yourself useful to your fellow community
gardeners and garden.  Being a writer is similar to bearing the mark of Cain
- I wouldn't advertise it too much.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] (no subject)