Re: Cutting Costs in the Garden - Street Boutique

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Cutting Costs in the Garden - Street Boutique
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:35:11 EDT

99. 44/99% of all NYC community gardens started off and are still poor
people's gardens.

Between organizations like Green Guerillas gleaning bulbs and greenery from
professional landscapers ( and garden showcases like the Rockefeller Center
"islands") and what gardeners have scrounged off the streets, it's amazing
what we have managed to recycle.

A prime example - A landlord decides to demolish a 150 year old brownstone
staircase, with cast iron bannisters and finials a few doors down from the
CCG.  The nice Brooklyn basedRajput gentlemen (bearded, turban wearing Hindus
from the Indian subcontinent) are persuaded to let us dumpster dive and to
look at the stuff they are breaking up before they go in the dumpster. We add
our labor to keep them on schedule and let them chill during lunch hour
during the garden.

We ended up with  a ton of primo stone for garden paths and beds, and a
spendid piece of cast iron which we painted and moved to the back shade
garden/patio.  Most of our "street boutique" items are not so classy - pink
flamingoes, an old wooded whisky barrel and recycled plumbing fixtures are
our usual speed.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] Cutting Costs in the Garden