Re: beds and planters/non-homed gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] beds and planters/non-homed gardens
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:04:28 -0500

Don,
Always enjoy your views from NC.

Funny  you should mention a garden for the homeless.  I'm leading an effort
this weekend involving Master Gardeners and some of my dedicated CASA
Community Garden volunteers (maybe I'm some type of Pied Piper for
volunteers).  We are installing some raised bed gardens for a facility that
houses homeless women (and their children) who have experienced spousal
abuse or other hardships.

We will be installing this small vegetable/flower garden for them.  A one
time project committment by the MGers.  The clients of this facility will be
maintaining it thoughout the season.  I will stop by once a week to help and
advise as needed.  This garden will be an extension of the one I created for
them last year (see http://www.casagarden.com/mgform.htm).

This small area (maybe 30' by 30') will be a peaceful place for them to pick
a few vegetables/flowers and to help take their minds off their unfortunate
situation.

My local MG association is paying for the garden (<$200.00).  The cost of
operating this garden is only the water consumption.  We plan to provide
everything including a hose, centrally located sprinkler and timer.
Basically, every other day or so in the heat of summer, they just twist the
timer (10 bucks) to water the garden.

Advice:   Do not plant high maintanence vegetables such as Okra.  I did last
year.  Not this year.
                Use leaf mulch extensively to retain moisture and to cut
down on weeding.
                Typically, a good MG organization will fund such a project
and provide initial installation
volunteers,  but you will be pressed to get long term committments.

I have done some research on homeless gardens and there are not many success
stories.

Remember, the word homeless and the word structure typically are not found
in the same sentence.  In our case, the clients, as part of their regular
chores or assignments for staying at the facility will be required to
maintain the garden.   This represents a committment from the organization.
Do not enter into a situation where you as a volunteer do all the work when
there are able-bodied individuals capable of maintaining the project.

With the CASA Community Garden, volunteers plant/maintain the garden and
receive none of its harvest for their efforts.  The harvest goes to the
elderly and homebound.  Unique situation for a unique project.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your efforts,     Jim