Hydroponics/aquaponics in community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Hydroponics/aquaponics in community gardens
  • From: "Geoff Wilson" <geoff@nettworx.info>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:56:34 +1000

As a journalist reporting on urban agriculture and microfarming I wish to write about community gardens using hydroponic and aquaponic techniques to grow food plants.  For example, a group of apartment owners in Singapore has a hydroponic community garden on their apartment building rooftop.  It is the focus for group events in planting, tending and harvesting. A social club of the rooftop community group operates from a meeting room close by.
A community garden group developing in my home city of Brisbane, Australia, is planning organic hydroponics and aquaponics as well as traditional soil growing of plants.
Surely others are doing similar things in community gardening in North America and Europe ?  I'd be most greatful for help in locating examples.
Geoff Wilson, at Geofff@nettworx.info