USDA-ARS: National Garlic Survey

Hi, Folks!

A notice appeared in the Garlic Seed Foundation's newsletter that Gayle Volk at USDA-ARS is looking for participants for a National Garlic Survey.  Dr. Volk just sent me the forms and the following introduction:
"We are conducting a survey to determine which characteristics of garlic types tend to be consistent at various locations throughout the US.  We would also like to determine if some of the ?Filaree Farms? descriptions of garlic types hold true regardless of planting location.  Our research results on garlic genetic diversity correlate nicely with the classification system described by Ron Engeland, but we?re also aware that many growers have plants that differ from the descriptions provided in the Growing Great Garlic book and supplement.
If you wish to participate, please answer the following questions to the best of your knowledge (and n/a where data is unknown).  Please do not quote garlic seed catalogs or books for your responses.  I?d like to collect data on the garlic that you actually grow at your location.  Specific names, contact information, and responses will not be publicized or distributed without your approval.  I will provide you with results from our survey when we have analyzed the data.

We have provided 3 tables for data collection at the time of scape formation, harvest, and after bulbs have been cured.  We ask that you leave at least three plants with scapes throughout the growing season so scape and bulbil data can be collected.  We also ask that data be collected on a typical garlic plant and bulb for each variety.  Each of the three datasheets has space for 20 garlic varieties.  If you would like to collect data for more than 20 varieties, please make copies of these pages.  Data should be based on your 2003-2004 garlic crop."

Gayle Volk, Plant Physiologist

National Center for Genetic Resources Preservation
1111 S Mason St.

Ft. Collins, CO 80521
E-mail: <gvolk@lamar.colostate.edu>

If you grow garlic, I would urge you to join in this study -- the forms are not difficult to fill out and you only need to keep the scapes on 3 typical plants for each variety that you grow.  The packet is available for the asking by e-mailing Dr. Volk at the address above.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of
St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA  19460