Making Farm Interns Attractive to the Community

  • Subject: [cg] Making Farm Interns Attractive to the Community
  • From: Allan Balliett <igg@igg.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:37:20 -0400

Friends -

I'm CSA farming on a new piece of ground this year. I'm outside of a small college town. We have leased good vegetable ground, but we are living in town. I do not have housing for interns, but I expected that, as I've seen with CSAs in other areas, that the town residents would open their homes to the interns (rent them rooms for reasonable prices, at a minimum)

Although we've done a great amount of community outreach (www.gardeningforthefuture.com), I have failed to convince ANYONE in the community that our organic farm interns are worthy of the level of support that one would give to, for example, an exchange student. I have failed to communicate the sacrifice the interns make and the promise they hold for everyone in that they are likely to go on to start organic farms of their owns. I've also failed to excite the interest of environmental groups in helping us find support. (At the same time, we are finding regular housing unaffordable by the farm or by the interns.)

We are preparing to make an appeal through local churches for community support. I'd appreciate any input anyone can give me that will help us communicate to the community why we think that our CSA interns are worthy of community support or of support by individuals who are interested in preserving and restoring the environment.

Again, we do not want anything for 'free,' but we do need the support of generous situations

Thanks

_Allan Balliett
Fresh and Local CSA
Shepherdstown, WV
www.freshandlocalcsa.com

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org