Re: advice please on vacant lot garden development

  • Subject: Re: [cg] advice please on vacant lot garden development
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" libby@igc.org
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:10:51 -0400

I agree, especially with the idea of raised beds.

Libby
On Apr 10, 2005, at 5:45 PM, adam36055@aol.com wrote:

I like both options, together, as the best way of doing the job.

For an urban community garden on this size plot - 60'x70', with volunteers doing the lion's share of the work, a bobcat to get out as many of the small weed trees/shrubs, followed up by "lasagne" ( to build up beds on top of existing soil) is, in my opinion the best way to go.

My logic - the general ground of the gardens will be better off for maintaining a decorative, landscaped perimeter and perennial garden bed areas to attract the neighborhood and create meeting areas for gardeners and neighborhood residents - the parklike area of the community garden that will make friends for the organization.

Then the raised bed, "lasagne areas," for food production, so there are no possible chemical or heavy metal polluntants for pregnant women or small children to have to deal with.

Again - UMass Amherst is the best soil tester, price and quality-wise for community gardens in the Eastern US, bar none. Good choice.

Best wishes. Please let us all know how this turns out.

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden
NYC