Bronx, NY: Community Garden Club in NY Public School

  • Subject: [cg] Bronx, NY: Community Garden Club in NY Public School
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:06:33 EDT

Friends,

This note from Aresh and the "More Gardens!" group, now mostly active in the
Bronx, gives an indication of some of the new work they've been doing since
the Melrose Garden consolidations.
"More Gardens!" is doing a school garden.

NYC has not been a great place for school gardens, though we have a few good
ones. The ones that have worked have had community garden parents who have put
in the lion's share of the work.  My hands were involved with the old
Dome/Oasis garden on W. 84th Street, before that got bulldozed, which was next to my
son's old elementary school, the Anderson program at PS 9. I worked nights at
the time, so working with kids on starting seeds in classrooms and then
planting them, labeling them and getting them in the ground - making sure they were
watered over the summer so they could see "how my plant is doing," in the Fall
was time-consuming, often frustrating work. The connections between science,
botany, ecology, etc were clear - the problems were time, teacher and class
schedules and getting buy-in from school administrators, looking to cover their
fannies under the "test scores," regime.

Despite the fact that both the NY and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens have great
outreach arms, our public school system has looked at these programs, said,
"that's nice," and moved on.
The  combination of  strict union custodial rules, a bureaucratic system
designed to maintain a system instead of educate,  and a change in NYC
organizational structures - from the old Board of Education to the NYC Dept of Education,
have made non-quantifiable, non-exam orientated"frills," like school gardens
hard to get off the ground.

But Aresh, and "More Gardens!" are sort of like the bumble bee that
aerodynamically shouldn't fly, but does. So we'll see how this goes. Goodness knows,
the kids really need this.

Great luck, Aresh!

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,