Re: crop rotation

  • Subject: Re: [cg] crop rotation
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:28:55 -0400

Most of us at the Clinton Community Garden, with our 108 queen sized bed (6' x9') raised bed, bio-energetic, "lasagne", plots, don't engage in crop rotation. We DO engage in year round soil amending (nothing like mid-winter weekly visits to the garden by people shovelling off the snow, and forking in finished compost, and the week's home collection can of coffee grounds, egg shells, centrfuged veggie remnanants of juicing, orange peels, and apple cores, all ground up.)  We also have the newspaper, layering with soil and other compostables on some beds, as well as others who cover their plots with plastic in order to kill weeds, or in the fond that somehow the heat will kill tomato blights.

And we do dump on new manure and amend with fish emulsion et al during the season. And we're always top dressing with compost, etc.

Now if we had more space to garden in - we might also crop rotate. So there you are...

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden