Re: crop rotation

  • Subject: Re: [cg] [cg]crop rotation
  • From: David Smead smead@amplepower.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings from Sunny Seattle,

Because small plots in community gardens are just one big garden for
the diseases that reside there, crop rotation as a means of disease
control is not likely to be successful unless everyone in the garden
agrees not to crow a particular crop for the season.

Crop rotation as a nutrient strategy is fine, but not necessary in soil
which is well fed with a steady diet of compost, leaves, grass clipping,
spent hops and grain, remains of apple cider and grape pressings, etc.
This is also the best strategy for disease control.  Keep food for the
inhabitants of the soil in constant supply.

I no longer till the soil.  To plant I grab one of the oyster shells
laying in my plot and scrape off enough mulch to get the seeds into
dirt.

Regarding not growing tomatoes and other plants in the same place every
year - not only have I quit tilling, I've quit planting lots of seeds.
For the last several years, tomatoes, kale, and other plants have
volunteered.  The tomatoes seem to be hardier and sweeter every year.
I have tomatoes well into October, and when others have
been struck with blight, my plants are still green and thriving.  I also
do the unthinkable, which is to cut up the trimmings from the tomato
plants and use it directly as mulch under the plants.

Well fed soil solves a lot of problems.

\/
Sincerely,

David Smead