Re: Bronx, NY: Community Garden Club in NY Public School

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Bronx, NY: Community Garden Club in NY Public School
  • From: FLYER166@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:41:50 EDT

While it is true that the NYCDOE does not sponsor or pay for partnerships
with gardens, The West Side Community Garden on that runs between 89 and 90
street between columbus and amsterdam Avenues on the Upper West Side of
Manhattan
funds (thanks to a grant this year from the Bay foundation) a school program
that works with four schools in the vicinity, including P.s. 166M   where the
seeds for the garden took hold over thirty years ago.   P.S. 166M also has a
reading garden, on school property, funded by a grant a couple of years ago
from
C. Virginia Fields Office and tended   by the third grade students at the
school with the help of parent volunteers, and originally, the Greenacre
Foundation.   As a school we have had programs sponsored by Green guerillas,
etc.    I
believe there is probably more school/garden parterships that people are aware
of.

Judith Rohn
Webmaster, PS 166 MNews From Around the School April 22 2005anhattan, West
side Community GardenWESTSIDE COMMUNITY GARDEN NEW YORK CITY